Monday, 16 January 2017

My Heritage - Ukraine


My Heritage

        For this project, I did not have to choose one side of my family over the other for the research because both sides are entirely Ukrainian. For those of you who do not know, Ukraine is the largest country in Europe, with a population of over 45 million, which is ten more million than Canada's population. It is located in the Eastern Europe, bordering with Russia, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Hungary, Moldova and Belarus. The Ukrainian flag is easily recognisable as it consists of two equal horizontal  stripes, blue on the top and yellow on the bottom.  


(Color Madness)
(Ukrainian Flag)
These colours were chosen to symbolise the blue skies and wheat fields, as Ukraine used to be one of the major wheat producing regions in Europe. It is a much older country than Canada with much history. Prior to becoming a country, Ukraine was known as the Kievan Rus, founded in 882 AD, since then many countries tried to conquer Ukraine. Hence it always belonged to different countries and unable to earn its total independence until 1991 when the Soviet Union fell apart. Officially, Ukraine went from being a socialist republic to a democratic country, however, in reality,  even today Ukraine is not a truly democratic country because of the deep roots of socialist ways the Soviet Union planted.

        Canada compared to Ukraine has a much better quality of life which is one of the main reasons my parents moved to Canada. Unlike in Ukraine, Canada isn’t a democratic country only on paper, but in reality as well. In Canada, laws are actually in power and are followed by the society, whereas in Ukraine, with the right amount of money you can buy yourself out of any situation or trouble that you get into. Despite the corruption, a large population of Ukrainian people, especially the students and young adults are fighting for change, an example of which would be the Euromaidan revolution which happened in 2014. 
The revolution was sparked by the actions of Ukraine's former president, Viktor Yanukovych, who announced his intention to sign the association agreement with the European Union but ultimately refused to do so at the last minute. While the people were protesting on the Maidan, Yanukovych signed a treaty and multibillion-dollar loan with Russia, which brought the revolution to a whole new level with a series of violent events involving protesters, riot police, and unknown shooters. As tensions rose, Yanukovych fled to Russia and did not return. Meanwhile, Russia invaded Ukraine and occupied Crimea, and since then Ukrainian soldiers die every day to protect my motherland. Since neither I, my family or other Ukrainian-Canadians were there during the revolution, we helped out from here by gathering supplies and raising money.  
(Fundraiser)

Although now there is movement and change going on in Ukraine, it wasn't like that in 2006 when my parents decided to immigrate to Canada. Back then Ukraine was still a country which endured years of corruption, mismanagement and lack of economic growth, which is why my parents felt the need to immigrate to a country with a better future for me. Vancouver was the city they first migrated to, because of a job offer.  
(Vancouver)

However later, in about 2 months they moved to Toronto, to my mom's friend from Ukraine. I immigrated 3 years later, at the age of 9, and had a surprise waiting for me. A 4-month-old baby sister, whom I was excited about at first, however now she's a huge pain.



       If I hadn't moved to Canada, my life would be pretty different. Below is a picture of a Cheater from the city I’m from, the city Lviv. 
(Ukrainian Theater)


In Ukraine, there are 11 grades of school instead of 12, and you don't get to choose your courses. There are no school buses, and a school holds kids since grade I to grade 11. After grade 9 you can opt to apply to a college, or you can study two additional years if you want to apply to a university. Since I'm applying to a university, I would be in grade 11, my final year, studying 20 classes, with 7 classes a day instead of 4. I would be studying Ukrainian language (2h/week), Ukrainian literature (2h/week), English (3h/week), World Literature (2h/week), History of Ukraine (1.5h/week), World History (1h/week), Economics (1h/week), Social Studies (0.5h/week), Art culture (0.5h/week), Algebra (3h/week), Geometry (2h/week), Astronomy (0.5h/week), Biology (1.5h/week), Ecology (0.5h/week), Physics (3h/week), Chemistry (2h/week), Computer Technology (2h/week),  General Technology (1h/week), Gym (2h/week), Military (1h/week)(girls learn first-aid, and guys learn combat). Below is a picture of my report card and honour roll from grade 3.
(Grade 3 Honour Roll)
(Grade 3 Report Card)
I would only have to write exams two years, once in grade 9 and another time in grade 11. There are only 3 mandatory exams, Ukrainian language, math or history, depending what you want and the third one is a personal choice. The exams count as final summative to your term mark as well an entrance into a university. Since for some programs you need to show more than just 3 marks to be accepted into a university, you have the option of writing 2 more exams which will not count toward your school mark. Employment is a problem in Ukraine as the education system allows many students graduate with a high degree, and there are just not enough of jobs to go around. Many people end up working at a lower class job that what they studied for. Like in Canada health care is also free in Ukraine. However, family doctors can come home to you if you are sick, so you don't have to waste time sitting at clinics or hospitals waiting for your turn. Overall I am glad that I live in Canada and don't have to experience what my life would be like in Ukraine right now. Could you imagine having 20 classes instead of 8.


Works Cited

Color Madness. 5 Sept. 2014. Gbtimes, Natalia Mihailova. Accessed 14 Jan. 2017.
Fundraiser. 2016.
Grade 3 Honour Roll. 2009
Grade 3 Report Card. 2009.
"Ukrainian Flag." Country Flags. Accessed 15 Jan. 2017.
Ukrainian Theater. Ukraine Travel Blog. Accessed 15 Jan. 2017.
Vancouver. 2006. 



8 comments:

  1. I really liked your blog, it was really interesting to read about such a different culture than I am used to. I learned a lot about Ukraine through your blog. Specifically, it was interesting learning about the history behind Ukraine and the political situation. How different is it from Canada that Ukraine wasn't legally an independent country until 1991?!I also found the education system extremely interesting to read about. It is drastically different from Canada's education system, and I also could not imagine studying in 20 classes a week and 7 classes a day! I am stressed by my workload I already have and I have trouble balancing my priorities, so living in Ukraine would definitely be even more of a challenge for a me and I bet any teenager. A question I have is do you still have family in the Ukraine? Grandparents? Aunts, Uncles, Cousins? If so, do you think life is easier or harder for them since they are still living in Ukraine and not Canada? Was the education system specifically hard for them to go through or was it just normal too them since they hadn't experienced any other education systems like Canada's?


    Before Reading your blog, I did not know anything about Ukraine, so I learned a lot. Your blog was really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still have some family living in Ukraine, however, most of them have moved over to Canada. I don't think life is harder for my remaining relatives because they have lived there their entire life and have not experienced a different way of life.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog. I found it was very detailed and had a lot of information about the reasoning behind emigrating to Canada. Your parents wanted a better life for you and your family that had equality for everyone. The only thing I didn't understand was in the first paragraph that u said Ukraine was the biggest country in Europe, I didn't understand in what way its the biggest like the mass of the country or the population? i'm just woundering because i thought there was bigger countries in Europe but I may be wrong. other then that your blog was very detailed and really well written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By area Ukraine is the largest country in Europe, however I don't know if it is by population.

      Delete
  3. I learnt a lot about Ukraine throughout this blog and I realize that your life in Canada has drastically changed. The change in schools is very interesting due to the fact that there are, "7 classes a day instead of 4" and that, "there are 11 school grades instead of 12". The change in schools makes me realize that it would be hard to come to Canada as it is very different from what we have now. Additionally, I thought your family history was interesting. If your parents had moved,"because of a job offer", my question is what were you doing in Ukraine during this time? Were you living with other family members? What affect did this have on your relationship with your parents? Overall, The changes mentioned in this blog illustrate that if your parents had not come to Canada your life would be very different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog did a great job of highlighting the differences between Canadian and Ukrainian life. I find it interesting that Ukraine is a democracy in name only. Before you immigrated to Canada, did you feel like the Ukrainian people had the power to change their country through voting? I also didn’t know that bribery is more powerful than the laws of Ukraine. This is totally the opposite of how things work in Canada; We would never dream of using money to buy ourselves out of trouble! I also find it crazy to imagine learning how to kill people as part of my education! But given Ukraine's history of having to defend itself against other countries, I guess this makes perfect sense. In the light of the Ukraine’s current conflict with Russia, having many young citizens trained to fight is probably quite important. Learning about all of the political instability in the Ukraine has made me realize just how lucky we are in Canada to have a strong democracy. The educational system in Ukraine sounds a lot more intense than in Canada. I’m already struggling to keep up with the workload of 4 classes per day, so I can’t imagine being able to keep up with 3 extra classes! You said that the unemployment rate is high in Ukraine. Do you think that you would have been able to get the job that you wanted after university if you hadn’t of immigrated to Canada? And are there certain types of jobs that are easier to get in Ukraine?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog very interesting to read, as I know very little about anything having to do with Ukraine. It seems that how you grew up here is very different than how you would’ve in Ukraine. I thought it was shocking that it wasn’t an official independent country until 1991, while Canada has already been a country for 124 years. Your parents were very courageous for making the decision to uproot their entire lives, in order to give you a better future. Had they not received a job offer in Canada, do you think they still would have decided to immigrate here? The schooling seems very different over there, as there are only 11 grades, and you can’t choose any of your own courses! Would you prefer Canada or Ukraines school system? Since Ukraine has been changing and becoming less corrupt, would you ever want to move back there in the future?

    ReplyDelete